Having a birthday party as a kid was an amazing time, you’d get to play with all your friends, there would be a pile of gifts, you were allowed do anything you wanted and most importantly you’d get to eat an endless amount of birthday cake. There weren’t many better days as a child then an epic birthday party, but as we all know the older you get the novelty of a birthday party begins to wear off. Age begins to become a negative and many would rather just have a low key day without much fuss. The perfect birthday nowadays is a few friends hanging out, unwinding after a long week at work just enjoying each others company. Sounds like bliss right? Well what if we told you, you could have the same fun you did as a kid, with no stress and lots of laugh as full grown adults. Here enters the weed cake, yes you heard that right, weed cake. Your favourite part of a birthday party with an added ingredient that will leave you feeling young and free all over again. Whether you are 19 or 91, a cannabis cake is a deliciously fluffy THC infused experience that is perfect for a gathering of people and will really get the party started. Here we’ll show you how to make the perfect cannabis cake with some great weed cake recipes.
The term weed cake might sound as simple as throwing some ground up cannabis into some cake mixture, throwing it in the oven and then shooting off into space. Although you can make it this way, the quality of the high and overall flavour of the cake will be seriously compromised. This is why it is best to invest a few hours into what is known as the decarboxylation process, also known as the decarb process. In short, decarbing is when you heat up marijuana to an optimal temperature where all the cannabinoids can be utilized, resulting in a super quality high and a very edible marijuana cake.
THCA is a compound found in cannabis that once heated produces the ever popular THC, which is of course responsible for the “high” effect we feel when consuming cannabis. The process of decarboxylation is essential when learning how to make a weed cake, heating at a long temperature for an extended period of time is what coverts the cannabis from THCA to THC.
Decarboxylation is fairly straight forward and isn’t overly complicated as long as you have a oven and a baking tray. Here are the steps to follow to decarboxylate your weed:
- Set your oven temperature to 225 degrees Fahrenheit, making sure the oven rack is in the middle row. Placing the rack in the middle of the oven ensures there is an equal distribution of heat.
- Place aluminium foil across a regular sized baking sheet. Crumple the foil up before laying down, this allows the cannabis to avoid direct contact with the baking sheet, allowing the foil to better conduct heat and avoid any possibility of uneven heat distribution.
- Next, break up your cannabis to where the pieces are similar to the size of a grain of rice. It’s best to use a scissors, using a grinder will make the weed too fine which increases the possibility of burning. Spread the cannabis across the aluminon foil and then place another sheet of foil over top. (We will get into how much cannabis you need to use a bit further down in the instructions)
- Place the baking sheet into the oven and leave for 45 minutes. Then take it out and let it cool for an additional 30 minutes at room temperature. Your cannabis should now look light toasted and golden brown.
Maybe a cake ins’t what you are looking for? Not to worry, we have a Cannabis Edibles: Finding Your Treat of Choice article that will help you choose an edible that is the best option for your needs.
Cannabutter / Canna Oil
This now leaves your weed as potent as it can be for your weed cake recipe. So now you have this perfectly decarboxylation weed and you are asking yourself what do I do now. Well you have two choices, you can add your potent THC to butter or oil, each are common ingredients when cooking multiples types of food.
Adding Cannabis to Butter
- Remove cannabis from oven
- Grind the cooked cannabis finely with a grinder
- Take your butter and melt it into a pot, for every cup of butter add one cup of water
- When the butter begins to melt add your ground up cannabis
- Maintain a low heat of around 160 -180 Fahrenheit
- Let simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. Never allow mixture to boil
- Once you’ve simmered the cannabis and butter long enough it’s time to strain
- Use a cheese cloth to pour the melted cannabutter through
- After pouring into a jar or basin, refrigerate the cannabutter for an hour
Adding Cannabis to Oil
- Grind up desired amount of cannabis
- Take both your oil and cannabis and place in a slow cooker, double boiler or saucepan
- Heat both the oil and cannabis together on low
- For a slow cooker cook on low for 4-6 hours
- Cooking in a double boiler should be cooked on low for 6-8 hours
- On a saucepan cook on low for three hours, making sure to stir regularly to avoid burning
- Temperatures should never reach over 245 Fahrenheit
- After letting the oil and cannabis cook together for a few hours remove and pour through a cheesecloth
- Store the oil in a jar and use for any of your cannabis cooking needs
- Cannabis oil shelf life is around 2 months, longer if refrigerated
Cooking with butter and oil can be a bit complex, that’s why we’ve put together a Cooking With Cannabis Guide. This can provide a more indepth approach to cooking with cannabis and the best ways to do it.
How to Make a Marijuana Cake
Now that your cannabis is ready to be baked into a delicious weed cake it’s time to begin the third phase of this weed cake recipe. I should add, the hard part is definitely over, making the rest of the marijuana cake.
- 1¾ cups of flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup of granulated white sugar
- ¾ cup of brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of cannabutter or 8 grams of cannabis buds
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of dried fruits
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- ½ can of chocolate frosting
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Fahrenheit
- Soften the chocolate chips by putting them in a casserole dish, keeping the temperature low to avoid them burning.
- While the chocolate melts, begin to mix your ingredients together. First adding eggs, sugar mixing until fluffy. Then add the milk and continue mixing.
- After mixing in the milk add a teaspoon of salt while adding flour in small bits to make the mixing easier. Continue mixing until the texture is smooth. For a faster process use an electric mixer.
- Next add your cannabutter and dried fruit with the melted chocolate together with the rest of the mixed in ingredients.
- This now completes the cake batter. Take a baking tray, either spray with oil or line with parchment paper. Pour the mixture into the pan, spreading evenly, placing in oven for 25-30 minutes.
- After your baking time is up, insert a knife to ensure the cake if fully baked on the inside. If the knife comes out clean then your cake is good to go, if not then it needs a couple more minutes in the oven. Always keep watch on your cake, it is common for the top to burn if left in the oven too long.
- Take the cake out and let it cool for 20 minutes.
- If you want to add cream or frosting you can cut the cake into two and layer. If you are looking to decorate the cake for a psychedelic birthday party prepare for the face of the cake.
- If you’re no good in the kitchen like so many of us, you can buy a box of cake mix and add your cannabutter instead of normal butter, according to the instructions on the box.
Maybe looking for something a little more powerful or effective for you? We’ve put together a list of Top 10 Powerful & Effective Marijuana Edibles to help you choose your best options. You may also enjoy our 6 Things You Need to Know About Eating Marijuana Edibles before you take your first bite. Maybe you want to learn about Can You Eat Raw Cannabis, to ship the step of cooking. We’ve got various blogs for you to learn from to better educate yourself on everything cannabis.
Haute is your one-top-shop for all your cannabis needs. Whether you are looking to bake a cake or score some top grade edibles, Haute is the best spot to buy weed online in Canada. Haute cannabis edibles online are the highest potency and most affordable online, along with their cannabis concentrates and keif online, you can buy hash online as well. Every day Haute offers different weed deals online with rock bottom prices and top quality strains. Not sure what a top quality strain is, head over to our Weed Grading System to educate yourself on the best products for your needs.